Baby Isaac

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, August 5, 2011

Bruxism


Sounds like some kinky sex position right? Sorry to disappoint but unfortunately it is not. Bruxism is a condition whereby you unconsciously grind your teeth and it usually occurs when you are asleep. I kinda knew that I had this problem way back in 2002 when my girlfriend told me that I grind my teeth rather loud when I sleep. I just dismissed her and thought nothing much about it because I felt that it was nothing unusual. That is, until I was married.

Bear recently told me that I have been grinding my teeth pretty badly, so much so that he sometimes don’t have a choice but the jolt me up from my sleep to prevent further damage from the grinding. And apparently, I grind pretty loud too. I honestly don’t understand where I developed this strange habit from … which ultimately led me to Google more about this condition.

Bruxism is a habit (a bad one) and is a type of sleep disorder. In the long-run, Bruxism causes tooth breakage (in extreme cases) and occasionally headaches, jaw-pain, and stiff shoulders. There is no known cure and it is advisable to visit the dentist (*gulp*) and he would most likely recommend to wear a mouth-guard when you are sleeping to minimize further damages to your teeth

What causes Bruxism?

1) Sleep disorder
I don’t think I have a problem with sleep. I can sleep throughout the night until mid-day. And I don’t snore. However, I do notice sometimes when I wake up, I do experience backache and shoulder ache. So don’t know if you consider that a sleep disorder. *shrug*

2) Lifestyle factor
And I quote “The use of psychoactive substances (e.g. tobacco, alcohol etc) increases arousal (?!) which leads to problems falling asleep, staying asleep, and daytime sleepiness hence Bruxism is significant higher in these individuals.”

Let’s do a checklist on my addiction towards psychoactive substances:
Tobacco – No
Alcohol – Occasional
Caffeine – Yes! Yes! YES!!
Medication for sleep/depression – No

3) Stress, Anxiety, and Psychological
Sometimes I do encounter stress especially from work due to some idiots whose sole purpose of existence in this world is to get on your nerves. I’ve noticed recently that whenever I am angry at this particular person, I tend to clench my teeth. Probably my Bruxism condition arose from these occasions. But other than that, I think I handle stress pretty well.

So yeah … looks like I am a Bruxist. For more information, you may read from here.

Love;
Mrs Lee

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the info about bruxism. It's imperative that more people become aware of this condition. This is a very serious dental disease, but it could be remedied by a lifestyle change and a simple advice from your dentist.

    ReplyDelete