Baby Isaac

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Monday, July 16, 2012

Of Confinement Ladies and Malay Urut Kakak


Nah .. as promised here is my week 20 halfway mark baby bump. Not very big isn't it? A lot of people has been commenting on how small my bump is but I'm not complaining cos I look more dainty instead of like a penguin and it is much easier to lose the weight thereafter. :) By the way I am now in my week 23 of the pregnancy, how time flies! Am still enjoying my second honeymoon trimester as there are nothing uncomfortable that I've to face at this point in time *hallelujah*

Since this is a dragon year aka influx of babies, I've made arrangement to book my confinement lady early (sometime in April this year). Admittedly, I didn't do much research when I should have, so I hope that this one would be a good one *fingers crossed*. The one that I initially wanted which my friend had used this year in Feb was already booked, so she recommended her friend.  

Over the phone my CL sounds pleasant enough and most importantly she is not petty and calculative. I've already asked if I need her to cook extra for my husband or for my visiting relatives would that be charged extra, she said no. I really hope she wont be anal lazy when it comes to taking care of the baby too. I've heard horror stories that their CL don't encourage breast milk because the babies tend to get hungry fast and instead would insist on formula milk. I've already made it clear to her that I would want to breastfeed as much as I can, and in the night she has to use my expressed breast milk.

Last month or so, she actually called me up to ask how was I doing and to make sure everything is alright. Which in my opinion is a pretty nice thing to do. My CL is from Ipoh and she charges RM3,500 (deposit to be paid RM500). Angpow of RM100 to be paid when she starts work, and another one when she's off work (any amount). Yes, I know it's expensive. 

Some have asked if I will follow the Chinese confinement way strictly, most likely I will be because it's a tradition that's been handed down from generations. Except for the not washing hair part. Thank God my mum will be sticking around to supervise keep a watchful eye over the CL cos honestly I won't know if I kena con or what also. Or if the CL slacks off for that matter.

In a typical 1Malaysia fashion (ceh.. tiba2 wanna be political pulak), I will be engaging in a Malay urut lady  as well to help me get back in shape pronto! The process will comprise of urut to ensure that your womb gets back in place and to buang angin. She will also massage your breast to stimulate milk production (no, I don't need my husband's help -.-"). Thereafter, it is followed by tungku which is hot stone massage, and finally bengkung which is to wrap your tummy and hips area very tightly to get back into your pre-pregnancy shape. [Note: You would need to buy the bengkung separately which is usually charged at RM50-60.]

Typically, you can do it rather immediately after your natural birth, and if for caesarian then preferably to wait for about 10 days first. Usually, Malays will urut 3-5 days straight depending on your needs and followed by another last one just before you finish your confinement. I think I will go for the 5 days straight.

I've googled and have shortlisted 3 based on recommendation from Malaysia Brides Forum and one from my Malay colleague. Here are the numbers in case if anyone is interested:

Aunty Aisyah : 012-223 5531 
Charge : RM180-RM200
Duration : 2 1/2 - 3 hours
Opinion - I find her very pricey but since she's recommended by my colleague, there is a certain element of trust. Further, when I called her, she sounded the most professional among all and can speak pretty decent English.

Kak Zurina : 013-258 9094
Charge : RM100
Duration : 2 hours
Opinion - She is recommended by two different person in the forum.

Kak Ros : 016-969 0931
Charge : RM80
Duration : 2 hours
Opinion - Despite being recommended by one person in the forum, she sound kind of Indonesian-ish so honestly am not very convinced. 

Do note that it is extremely important to get a proper and good one because she is massaging your womb area. You don't want to hire a bogus urut lady and end up getting worse off. Unlike the Chinese CL, for these Malay urut ladies, you need not book them in advance. You can actually call them once you've delivered.  

I am now torn between Aunty Aisyah and Kak Zurina. We'll see how it goes at a later stage. 

Love;
Mummy Geri

22 comments:

  1. Hi Mummy Geri, Aunty Aisyah seems so expensive for me.... =.= i also looking for urut for my next month confinement....

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah.. i agree she is way above the normal urut lady rates. but she was recommend by a person whom i actually know and that's a comfort.

    have you found one yet? maybe can recommend to me instead? :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. I called Kak Zurina...she charge even higher than yours @.@

    ReplyDelete
  4. Serious?? So did you manage to find one yet so far?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah....i found few and let see how... ready to deliver anytime...wish me luck ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. good luck to you! i've got 1 more month to go! :) actually I've found another urut lady recommended by my colleague. her charges are reasonable too, I may go with her

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you please share with me? My email is chowmunyee@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mummy Geri, can you please share the contact of the urut lady that you have mentioned that her charges are reasonable posted on October 9 please :)... here is my email terrichit@gmail.com. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aunty aishah seems very busy. She didn't confirm my appointment until the day itself. When I was waiting for her she called to change time. I said I could not make it and thought of rearranging another day with her. Before I could finish my sentence she said " tak mau tak apa" and hung up on me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. strange .. aunty aishah is not like this. she's very friendly

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi...this is my first pregnancy and and need some valuable advice. I will be delivering in Ipoh, do anyone know any confinement lady around that area.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hmmm.. no idea for ipoh. sorry cant help much

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Geri.. May I ask of your recommendation of Malay urut lady? Who did u take? I'm going to deliver in a mths time n still in search of one.... I'm fr klg. - sherry

    ReplyDelete
  14. Viki : My CL is from Ipoh. She's pretty good! Email me gee_liyin@yahoo.com. Will pass you the contact.

    Sherry : I took Aunty Aishah. Really good and professional, although a tad expensive

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yea... Quite exp. Is there a required commitment of number of sessions? Like some will do only if the new mama promised to buy 10 sessions.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think her minimum is 3-5 sessions if i recall correctly

    ReplyDelete
  17. confinement lady area shah alam
    massage and hot stone 1.5hours
    call mira 0123220691

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Geri, I am in the process of finding a cnfinement lady from Ipoh...would you kind sharing contact details of your confinement lady from 2 years ago please? Its been sometime, I hope you still have her contacts. You can e-mail me shintien29@gmail.com. Appreciate your help, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. For massage n hot stone (urut dan tungku) whatapp or col 0126383021

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Geri. am a Malay CL. I do provide full Malay traditional treatments. Taking care of mom and baby at the comfort of your home. Stay in/daily visits available. Call me 019 551 0072. Or email @ haziqzai@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Does Aunty Aisha come to Singapore. Does she has a Singapore contact

    ReplyDelete