Baby Isaac

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Friday, April 1, 2011

Our Education System Needs to be Revamped!

Its been awhile since I've been damn tu lan about the academic system in Malaysia - in particular the examination. I was a student for a total of 17 years (inclusive of Primary, Secondary, A-Levels, and Uni).

What contributed further to the tu lan~ness is that after 3 years of working, we are required to take a professional exam. All together there are 3 papers to pass (with the last paper only having 10% of passing rate).


I am currently on my study break and will be sitting for the Paper 1 exam this Saturday tomorrow. What pisses me off is that the passing mark is 80%. Yes, you heard me right ... It is 80 freaking percent!!! 0_o". The materials which were given to us are all hard facts - meaning we must memorize word for word. The best part is that, we were warned told by our facilitator that the examiner's sole purpose is to confuse, confuse, and confuse us.

My question now is : Is this exam relevant to our day-to-day job? To some extent, yes it is. But to memorize word-for-word? That's crazy!

And here my friends are classic examples on how screw up our education system is:

Point 1 : Why the need to memorize theories?
Most importantly, education must be relevant to the students. Because when you come out to work, it is important to be able to apply what you have studied. What's the point of memorizing and regurgitating back into the exam papers? Honestly, after every exam I don't even remember what I have studied - because what I have 'studied aka memorized' was solely for passing the exam.

Point 2: Ridiculous passing mark of 80%.
Why would people set a passing mark so ridiculously high? What is the purpose of this??? I have always been an advocate of Australian and US education system rather than British because it balances out the academic and assignment portion. To me again the most important thing is application. Applying what you have study - and that is the true meaning of understanding.

Point 3: Examiners are sadist.
Need I say more? Their sole purpose of existence is to make sure you fail.


Sigh .. I hate our education/British system!
Too academic driven and irrelevant!
Helloo.. we are not breeding Professors here ok. *urgh~*

Alright, enough of rambling and back to studying.

Love;
Mrs Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment