Baby Isaac

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Thought of the Day

Last weekend, I was in AEON Bukit Tinggi with Bear and my father-in-grace. We were hanging around in Starbucks and people-watching when we saw a group of family. The family was quite big and they have a youngest son who was sitting in the trolley. He was throwing a massive tantrum and the maid was there to calm him down. The boy was about 6-7 years old.

Initially we were amazed at how the parents can allow for the boy to misbehave in such a manner. And then, it occured to us that the boy has Down Syndrome or an illness which is somewhere along that line.

And then, it hit me.

I just had a detailed blood test and an anomaly scan done on my baby. Thank God the results all came back good and that my baby is a healthy and fully-developed little one.

As I was watching the commotion in front of me, a lot of "What If" played through my mind. What if that child was mine? What if I found out at the early stage i.e. during pregnancy that I am carrying a child who has Down Syndrome?

It is so easy to look at others and go all pitiful on the parents of the child and the child but think about it, if it does happen to you, what will you do? What can you do?

Sometime back, my colleague did the blood test and the result came back that she was carrying a child with potentially at a high risk of Down Syndrome. She had to go for further test to get a confirmation. Meanwhile, she was seriously contemplating on aborting the child if need be. She was at that time 4-5 months into the pregnancy. Her reason is simple : Why let the child suffer? When the parents is no longer around, how can the child fend for himself? How will society look at that child? Thank God the test came back negative and now the boy is a healthy, cute, and smart 2-year old boy.

And then there are some like my boss who had decided not to do the test at all because she was determined to carry the child through regardless if he/she has Down Syndrome or not. So what's the point of doing the test?

For me, I would want to know because I need to be prepared in case of anything. And if the result is not favourable, I would still carry on with the pregnancy because abortion at 4-5 months into the pregnancy is too cruel. It's no difference than murdering your own child.

However, it is easier said than done. If it does happen, I don't think emotionally I can be sure if I can make the correct decision. What is the correct decision anyway?  

I am not here to judge. Different people has different ways to tackle the situation.
What would yours be?

Love;
Mummy Geri

2 comments:

  1. My Mom continued carrying my baby sister despite knowing the results. It's tough you know.. having to nurture a Down Syndrome kid. They have mood swings and sometimes, it's not easy to control them. Thank God my sister is older now and she somewhat can control herself.. except in the makan department. She is just like any normal kid :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is good to know :) Your mum is a supermum!

    ReplyDelete